Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What?! My Bro Isn't a Big Nerd?!

Ok, so as some of you know, I've been doing a little perusing into the music industry lately.  A little flit here, a flit there, to see if there's a place for me in that world that I've long been neglecting. 

Music has been an amazing part of my world for a very long time, but I've always tended towards the "classical" side with musicals, classical music, choirs etc. (perhaps because it was easier?).  I've always been insecure about the world of popular music/modern music.  Well, a couple of weeks ago, I decided I'M DONE!!!  No more insecurity, no more avoiding a dream that could potentially be really cool, even as just a side project.

So I started digging.

I was lucky enough to make contact with a Denver-ite that is integrated in the music industry, and he's been helping me get my feet wet, and get a better understanding of how things work (and how to avoid the all-too-common and unavoidable "egos" that prevail).

I'm getting so excited to enter a new world that I've feared for so long!!

Ummmmm... wait, what does this have to do with my brother?  And him not being a nerd?  Oh yeah...  Ok, ok, heaven forbid I talk about myself for a few minutes.  That's right, Big Brother, LITTLE JANIE GETS SOME ATTENTION SOMETIMES TOO!

So in my discussions with my new "agent-de-discovery" as we'll call him (ADD for short.  Heehee), I remembered that my older brother, Grant, writes music reviews "on occasion".  When he lived in Colorado he had a few mags or websites or something pay for him to attend concerts and write reviews.  Seemed like a cute little gig.  And he has his own record label too, I think?

So I'm thinking, ok, I should check out his blog and see what it's all about, maybe he can help me learn more about this "world":  gumshoegrove.com

After poking around his "little" blog for a few minutes, I was astounded, and maybe just a little bit belittled by my own lack of knowledge regarding my own flesh and blood: "Grant, WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME YOUR WERE SO COOL?!?!".  Not only is he an amazing writer, but he has well-known magazines and websites knocking on his door for his expert analysis and no-nonsense-foot-in-the-ass-of-"the-man" writing style (don't correct my punctuation, weirdos, this is a blog, not a dictionary).

And it gets better.  Then I found this:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/reporter-wined-and-dined-feels-refined-still-many-things-about-day-linger-gumshoes-mi

Look, I'm down with the anti-big corporation feel, I like to support local businesses and not give TOO much credit to the guys that make it big, but that doesn't change the fact that you have to pretty friggin AWESOME to have Microsoft soliciting your aid (and paying for nice cars, expensive hotel rooms, and wraps...mmmmmm....) in the creation of a "ground-breaking" product.

So, Grantie-poo, hats-off to you.  And shame on me for not seeing the revolutionary talent that others so clearly admire.  You have inspired me, and now I'm going to be plaguing you with annoying phone calls reminiscent of the all-too-familiar Saturday morning cartoons of yore ("What's happening now?  What did he say?  Why is he running off a cliff?  What just happened?  What's so funny?").  And just like the old days, if you brush me off with "Cut it out, I'm trying to watch TV!", the questioning will ONLY GET LOUDER.

In the meantime, I'm going next door to get a wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment